HARVEST REMINDER: CONSTRUCTION MAY LIMIT FARM MACHINERY ACCESS
Transporting agricultural machinery from one field to the next via public roads is a necessity for many in Saskatchewan farmers – especially during the busy harvest season.
Regina Bypass reminds the agricultural community to check for ongoing traffic, construction and lane-width restrictions, as planning before machinery movements or hauling grain can potentially avoid delays getting the crop off the field.
Several traffic tools exist to help farmers:
· SGI Permit Office: Is responsible for issuing permits for heavy trucks used for farm purposes and information on weight and dimension restrictions. It’s open seven days a week from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., including most statutory holidays. Call 306-775-6969 (in Regina/outside Saskatchewan); 1-800-667-7575 (in Saskatchewan); or email [email protected]
· Highway Hotline: Saskatchewan’s road information system can be checked daily for Regina Bypass construction activities at http://hotline.gov.sk.ca.
· Regina Bypass 24-Hour Contact Centre: For questions about current construction operations, call 1-844-679-4828.
· Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Toll-free Inquiry Line: For advice about farm vehicle weights or configurations, call 1-866-933-5290 or 306-933-5290 (outside of Saskatchewan). Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays, except statuary holidays.
· Transporting Farm Equipment general information: www.highways.gov.sk.ca/transportingfarmequipment
During construction, all drivers are reminded to watch for work zones and slow to 60 km/hr, as the safety of nearby residents and those working on the Regina Bypass to improve the transportation system is a top priority.